Monday 3 January 2011

Meet Sophie Dunn

In the second of our occasional series of Q and A’s with soloists, musicians and staff, our Creative Learning director, Sophie Dunn answers a few questions.

What has been the highlight of your career so far?
For the sheer surprise of how much I enjoyed it, a songwriting project with lifers in Wandsworth prison.

Any low points?
Not being able to find funding for a project is always disappointing, especially when lots have people have worked hard on it.

When are you happiest?
Work-wise, I love watching children perform at the end of a long project. Out of work – skiing down a long run in the sunshine.

What is your greatest fear?
Not a fear, but I can’t bear to have a mug of cold tea anywhere near me! (A hint to my colleagues in the office to do their washing up…)

What is your earliest musical memory?
Going to see Atarah’s Band – I met her afterwards and she told me I was going to be a flautist. Which I was, sort of.

What is your most treasured possession?
My wedding ring

What would your super power be?
Flying or breathing under water. Can I have both?

If you were an animal what would you be?
A squirrel.

What is your favourite book?
Bill Bryson’s A History of Nearly Everything answers many of the questions that have bugged me for years, including the most confusing one of all – how on earth did people work that stuff out?

What is your guiltiest pleasure?
I have been known to watch The X Factor…

If you could go back in time, where would you go?
1920s Paris sounds like fun

The next Creative Learning event, the annual Cambridge University Composer's Workshop takes place on Saturday 29th January 2011. For more details and ticket info click here

No comments: